Thursday, January 8, 2009

My cat is mad, and and obituary of sorts

I just wish he (Barry, the cat) would either go out or come in.  None of this going out for 15min, coming back and yowling at the door to be let back in, the yowling to be let back out again, only to come back again 5mins later this time.  And repeat.  I think it's related to the weather (looks like it will be crap today), and he's not sure about wandering around in it. 

Well he seems to have settled for the next few minutes anyway.

My one NY's resolution that's stuck so far has been to stop going to the SOz board.  It's been ruined.  I've posted about this before on LJ, but it makes me sad that all the people I see now agree that it was a fun place for a while, but we're all happier catching up in private get-togethers now.  We went to the Brisbane meet in July and it was the best time I've had at a SOz thing in ages, because of the people who were there.  So we've concluded that we must remember it as a shining happy place where so many of us met lifelong friends and partners (ours being the first wedding, but there's two this year, and also five other couples at the moment who are at varying stages of commitment - which is impressive for a small message board).  I can't help but wonder how it would be if Chocky had lived.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who does.  Looking back, it feels like the sudden loss of him triggered the beginning of the end.  Perhaps it was ending before it started, who knows? 

Things SOz has given me:

  1. a husband, words can't express how I love him
  2. several amazing friends across the country
  3. an education about veganism (something I'd never really heard of until SOz, which seemed to attract vegans in droves)
  4. Kwan Yin in Brisbane
  5. Kinokinuya in Sydney, and the vegan yum cha before it closed down (sob)
  6. A home in Melbourne, a place I've always wanted to live, but never really thought I would
  7. Acceptance that loving the things I love doesn't make me an insane geek with no mates.

So thanks SOz, for so much.  Boo to the people who took it away from us all. 

No comments: