Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sporadic poster is sporadic.

The weather is lovely today. Probably the last nice day of autumn. We went out this morning to look at a house for rent in our area. We need more space and it certainly had that in spades (a little too much - all I could think about was how much extra furniture we'd need). And why is it that real estate agents won't give you the skinny on whether pets are allowed? "It's decided by the owner upon application" is not an answer. Why would I fill out a lot of revealing details on a sheet only to be knocked back because of one adorable cat? (though this house did have a child's sandpit out back, which we thought Barry would think the best thing ever) As rental properties go, it was pretty good. Heating, a/c in the bedroom, two bathrooms. But there was a lot of dark wood up the walls in the older part of the house, and very little in the way of carpet (which I think is essential in this climate in winter). I don't think we'll be applying for it. Though there was an established veggie patch down the back AND a lemon tree (something I badly want). It just didn't say "home" to me, and I've rented before, so it's not that, though I admit that may be part of it. 

We were, for a long time, wanting to move out of Melbourne to Woodend. A small town, lovely, just to the north west of the city. It would have been a considerable commute, which in the end, was the problem. Even though housing is much more affordable there, the savings would have been lost in time and the cost of petrol/train fares to get to work every day. *sigh* We both earn decent wages, I don't understand why we can't seem to afford a decent house in a decent suburb. Recently a three bed, one bath house on about 400 sqm went for $1,065,000 in the next suburb! I don't get it. Who pays this kind of money?

No comments: