Sunday, August 16, 2009

Holidaying pt 2 – Broome the second

Following on from the previous post, we drove from Gantheaume Point back towards Broome township, via a dirt road that ran past Deep Water Point, where the large ships are docked.

I didn’t feel well, but Darren walked up the dock and on the way back, spotted a turtle:

And then headed into town and located the Japanese Cemetery, which has been restored with the help of the Japanese people, but was also vandalised soon after.

It was unlike any cemetery I’d seen before and very lovely.

Later that day (after the required pool time) we went to iconic Cable Beach to watch the sunset from one of the restaurants there. It’s the place that everyone recognises from pictures of Broome – often with people taking a camel ride up the beach at sunset. Darren had been keen on doing this, but honestly, I’ve been on a camel before, they are nasty smelly beasts that spit and the ride is NOT comfortable. I told him he was welcome to, but after reading about the dodgy dealings that went on when last the camel operator licenses went up for tender (scroll down for story), Darren was put off as well. They only walk them on the section of the beach North of the rocks and have banished the cars up there as well, leaving the Southern section (it’s a long beach though) for the swimmers to enjoy in peace. That’s at least one good decision the Council have made as I had thought our time on the beach would be ruined by yahoos in 4WDs (though they seemed to exit the beach quietly enough after sunset, so I may have been mistaken there too).

Many people picnic or BBQ on the beach at sunset, or just come to look at the view, which is worth braving the crowds for.

We took those from our table, and afterwards wandered down to the water.

I am in love with this shot, I want to put it on my wall:

As you can see, the beach was a bit rocky, and I was glad it was low tide and the rocks were exposed and easy to avoid. The water was much colder than I expected though, despite the sign stating it was 22C, it seemed worse!

More to come…

LiveJournal Tags: ,,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I spent six months with my silly bf, Nevin, living in Port Hedland. We could have driven to Broome, but didn't make the effort.

I am SOooooooo disappointed I never got there, it just looks and sounds beautiful. I did get to see some amazing sunsets up in that part of the world though.

suze2000 said...

Oh lord, Port Hedland? Been there and just about died of the heat (it was February).

Put it on your list for when you're a grey nomad. :)

Mandy said...

Wow! Your photos are amazing!!! I think I might like to move out there actually. Well, I know I want to move to Australia but I'd love to move somewhere that is warm in winter!!

suze2000 said...

I think it's not really true - Australia being warm in winter. Certainly the northern half is, but that's also where most sane people refuse to go during the summer months. There are some lovely parts maybe 200km North of Sydney and beyond where people who come from cool climates would find it tshirt weather. Certainly last year I visited Mum in Sept and commented that I had brought the wrong clothes and she thought I was worried about being cold, but I was actually concerned about the heat! (she lives near the Gold Coast, I live in Melbourne)

Those who are wealthy choose to live in Darwin or Queensland during the winter months and the south during the summer months. That's my dream. :)

Mandy said...

:) I do really well in London winters but I hated South African winters. I think I could do quite nicely in a really hot climate where it is 40°c plus in summer. Just as long as I have a swimming pool or air-conditioning when I need it!

suze2000 said...

I have found that winter in a cold climate - such as London's - is far more tolerable because of the central heating. In cities where hot summers are considered more of a problem than cold winters, air conditioning is the focus of climate control and as such, winter can be quite miserable!